Sunday, March 24, 2013

Deborah Lippmann: Across the Universe & Snow Crystals/ Surface Hoar


Hello everyone!

Before you look at the photos, I have to tell you that I think this nail polish deserves photos of better quality. The photos were taken in low light, and the top coat has shrunk the nail polish. That's the reason why I haven't published them until now. Maybe I'll take new photos of Across the Universe by Deborah Lippmann again some time. But I wanted to show the ones that were taken with the snow crystals, so then I decided to include a few of the other photos too. So please try to imagine that the photos were taken with sufficient light, and don't look at the tips!

These photos were taken in January, after some weeks of very cold weather. This was before I got the Ott- Lite, so I hurried out to take the photos before the sun went down. The snow had turned into crystals, and I hadn't seen snow crystals like that before. So I took lots of photos with the polish together with the snow crystals, and then the sun went down. And it was one of these fantastic winter sunsets! So I tried to capture the sunset behind my Across the Universe nails. But needless to say, it's difficult to get a close up of four nails and the sun, so I'm not even going to show you those photos. And imagine how many photos that were useless because of the shrinkage... I don't remember any more why I added a second coat of Seche Vite, but I have written down that I did.

So, first I took photos inside by the window, then outside with "snow crystals" or "surface hoar" that I learned that they are called when I tried to google the phenomenon. Then when I came home, I mattified the polish, and I included a few of those pics too.

Inside: 3 coats of Across The Universe+ 1 coat of Seche Vite



In the snow: 3 coats of Across The Universe+ 2 coats of Seche Vite





You can click on the snow crystal by the middle finger to enlarge
You can click on the image to enlarge


You can click on the snow crystals/ surface hoar to enlarge

You can click on the snow crystals/ surface hoar to enlarge

Inside: with matte top coat






About the nail polish:

Deborah Lippmann's Across the Universe is a dark blue jelly with blue and green hexagonal glitter, and I think the small hexagonal glitter is blue. I used 3 coats here, but earlier (before I started blogging) I layered it over a dark blue polish. I've also tried to layer it over green (TL Design Bombay) on a nail wheel, but didn't manage to apply an even coat. Deborah Lippmann nail polish is sold in many countries. If you live in the USA or Canada, you can order it online (Deborah LippmannNailPolishCanada, and others), but if you want to find a store near you, you can try her store locator.

And as I like to mention, Deborah Lippmann nail polishes are vegan, free of formaldehyde, toulene and dibutyl phtalate, and most important: not tested on animals :-)



EDIT: I've added some more info:

This is not a new nail polish, but it's still available. I bought this nail polish in September 2011 together with the 'Get this party started' set. But according to All Lacquered Up, 'Across the Universe' is from Deborah Lippmann's Fall 2010 collection.
Deborah Lippmann polishes are quite expensive, but where I live they are just a little more expensive than OPI, but cheaper than Chanel and Dior. I've seen pictures of a dupe called Essence 'Blue Addicted', which comes in a smaller bottle, but is much cheaper. Here is a comparison made by Spector's Nails. Gina Tricot made a glitter last summer with similar colors, but it looks very different. It's called #77 'Monaco blue' and is a bit similar to Deborah Lippmann's 'Across the Universe', but with small green and blue glitter instead of big, in addition to large silver glitter. But I couldn't find it on Gina Tricot's web shop now, so I don't know if it's still available.




Lani

8 comments:

  1. Beatiful pictures:-)
    I like this polish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you like them! It's one of my favourite polishes too.

      Delete
  2. I love this polish. And your pictures of the snow crystals are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm glad you like them! I had never seen so big snow crystals before. They were very beautiful

      Delete
  3. gorgeous! Looks like an old one of essence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've seen pictures of Essence 'Blue Addicted', and it looks like a dupe. Thanks for commenting. Now I see that I haven't written how old Across the Universe is. I will edit the post. According to All Lacquered Up it is from fall 2010.

      Delete